J
INTERACTION DESIGN

Canary Mobile App

Canary was a cannabis marketplace and on-demand mobile delivery service. I co-founded the company in April 2014 with two friends. As an early-stage startup, I found myself in many different roles at Canary: legal research, business strategy, community building, recruiting, and sales. My experience in these roles, especially working to sell the product, helped inform my product design decisions.

Objectives

• How might we connect Canary users with local dispensaries and enable them to quickly and easily browse product and place on-demand orders?

• How might we standardize the experience across providers while allowing these providers to customize their listing with their own brand elements?

• What information do users need throughout the order process and how can we best communicate it to them?

Research

I conducted user interviews throughout development and decided to launch into a 30 day closed beta in order to closely monitor user data and bug reports. I used Mixpanel to measure user activity, survey users, and A/B test push notifications. I used Apptentive and UXCam to record additional user data, including complete screen-recordings of user sessions.

Of the listed options, what is your primary motivation for using Canary?
Do you typically browse cannabis by store, price, or product?

Do you typically browse cannabis by store, price, or product?

Are you particular about the providers you purchase from?

Are you particular about the providers you purchase from?

User Flow

The decision to drop users into a provider-catalog rather than a product-specific or discovery menu was informed by our early user studies. We found that customers had a certain level of allegiance to their chosen dispensaries, and that the brand was often the most more important factor when browsing product. This insight actually wound up informing a lot of how we structured the business and even our revenue models.We chose to add discovery and product menus as optional features for users who might prefer to browse this way.In addition to product design, I led our sales and company operations and was able to borrow learnings from these areas of the business to design a more sales-ready product. Through selling, I found that customer dispensaries wanted the opportunity to differentiate from their competitors.

Early Iterations

I used Flinto to create several clickable prototypes for early user testing. Though high-fidelity, visuals were not as much a focus at this stage as user flow and functionality.

Of the listed options, what is your primary motivation for using Canary?
Do you typically browse cannabis by store, price, or product?

Do you typically browse cannabis by store, price, or product?

Are you particular about the providers you purchase from?

Are you particular about the providers you purchase from?

UI Explorations

I used Flinto to create several clickable prototypes for early user testing. Though high-fidelity, visuals were not as much a focus at this stage as user flow and functionality.

“Merely measuring something has an uncanny tendency to improve it. If you want to make your user numbers go up, put a big piece of paper on your wall and every day plot the number of users. You’ll be delighted when it goes up and disappointed when it goes down. Pretty soon you’ll start noticing what makes the number go up, and you’ll start to do more of that. Corollary: be careful what you measure.”— Paul Graham

Designing With Data

At this time I'd been reading Paul Graham's incredibly helpful series of essays on building a startup. One of my biggest takeaways from Paul's essays was that you are what you measure. We took a considerable amount of engineering hours to build out Mixpanel and Apptentive integrations to measure user behaviors and collect in-app feedback from users. This was an important part of the design process post-launch.

Our first onboarding flow required users to input the necessary text fields from their medical marijuana card. We notice that we were losing users at this step and set out to solve this problem. Our first move was to determine how many users downloading the application were qualifying medical marijuana card holders. Once we confirmed that there were qualifying users dropping off we A/B tested a new verification flow that eliminated the need to input text items. While the conversion rate did not change significantly we saw a 3.7 hour reduction in the time users spent completing this step.


Original Verification Flow

Revised Verification Flow

Text-based Verification Flow Conversion Funnel

Photo-based Verification Flow Conversion Funnel