I'm currently part of a small team of designers working on Microsoft's work management offerings– Microsoft Project and Microsoft Planner. My focus has been on understanding and visualizing enterprise user workflows to identify and incongruities in our product offerings. The enterprise resource management space is particularly interesting to me as a design challenge in reducing complexity without compromising.
Canary was a cannabis marketplace and on-demand mobile delivery service. I co-founded the company in April 2014 with two friends. As an early-stage startup, I found myself in many different roles at Canary: legal research, business strategy, community building, recruiting, and sales. My experience in these roles, especially working to sell the product, helped inform my product design decisions.
Several classmates and I spent twelve weeks redesigning the multimeter for industrial use. This project was sponsored by Fluke Corporation, a leading manufacturer of tools for professionals. Upon completion we presented our work to the engineering, business, and design teams at Fluke. Because it is now owned by Fluke Corporation some elements of this project cannot be shown here.
This lighting fixture was designed for rapid prototyping as part of a class in prototyping and project development. The objectives of the project were to learn how to convert 3D computer models into 2D profiles that can be read by the laser cutter. In Rhino, the planar and unroll commands were used to convert the 3D objects into 2D profiles, and the final lamp model had to be disassembled and re-assembled for assessment.
Customers find self-checkout machines frustrating and difficult to use. Frequent need for attendant assistance has created an experience that actually takes longer than a traditional checkout line. Supermarket managers find that these kiosks have a large, inflexible footprint, and employees find that the kiosk layout is difficult to manage and creates highly inefficient walking patterns.
For my undergraduate capstone I chose to envision the future of the below-the-knee prosthesis using cutting edge design techniques. Together with my partner Justin, we used the automatic generation of parametric design concepts driven by live user-comfort data to test for the optimal solution. This project introduced me to several new technologies and helped me understand how the design process can be enhanced with automation.